Saturday, June 19, 2010

God is good all the time and all the time God is good

This is a saying that we ave here in Kangundo and we constantly remind each other of this wonderful promise from our Maker. It has been two weeks since I've been here and I can't believe it! God continues to open my eyes to the beauty amidst the poverty of this nation. I am constantly humbled by the pothole-filled dirt roads as well as the people who have so little but offer you everything they have.

I don't remember if I posted about using the parachute last Saturday, but it was a hug success!! I have lots of video tat I will share when I return.Let's just say we played with it for about 2 hours last weekend and the kids had an absolute blast, as did I!

Even though this is my second visit to Kenya I cannot get over how much we have in the states. For example, in school we have all of the necessary supplies and then some. Here, in Kenya, the teachers are lucky if they have a roof over their heads and a smooth dirt floor under their feet.  I know that I have complained several times to myself about things that I wish I could have in my classroom. Lord, forgive me for being so materialistic because these students do not even have their own pencils and markers to use. The teachers also have to make everything for their classroom. They make all of the visual aid because your local teacher store doesn't exist in the village. And even though they are lacking so many materials the kids still learn everything they need to learn and continue on because this is all that they know. I can't imagine how they would react to everything that we have been blessed with in our schools.

This past week has been nothing short of amazing! I had the opportunity to visit a school for the blind in Kangundo, which was so humbling! I went with one of my dear friends from here, Daniel. We met with the Headmaster and he welcomed us with open arms to the school. The name of the school DEB and has about 1,500 students and has 30 students enrolled int he school for the blind. Let me tell you, this school is awesome! We walked in as the blind students were coming in and they were so happy. You could just see the love in their eyes, even though they couldn't see me. My heart melted when one of the students took my hands and felt them for about 5 minutes. I prayed that God would bless this child and would be healed in Jesus name.  Their classroom is so great because it is full of hands-on activities for the kids to keep busy with. They also have braille machines that they have for the students to type on as well as talking computers, which blew my mind! DEB is one of 3 schools in all of the Kenya that has all of these resources for the blind! Praise God!  Please pray that they would continue to receive funds to keep the school running because it is such an amazing place.

On Wednesday I had the privileged of cooking all day with the house help as we made dinner for a group of kids from Alaska that has been serving in our village for the past 3 weeks! It was so great to meet them have fellowship with them and encourage them in Christ. I know that they greatly appreciated the American meal of hamburgers and homemade salads and french fries. Praise God for others that are serving him in Kangundo!
Thursday we went to Nairobi and did some wonderful shopping and Friday we went to Nairobi again and dropped my friend Kristin off at the airport which was bitter sweet.

I pray that you are all doing well. I thank all of you for the prayers that you have been lifting up on my behalf. I have felt them and I am doing so well! I constantly feel surrounded by Christ and his amazing angels. Even when we travel at night, which is dangerous I do not fear anything because I know that our great God has us in the palm of his hand and no weapon thwarted against me shall remain! Thank you again for your prayers and love. 

2 comments:

  1. A group from Alaska? Where were they from? Did you tell them about me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is great Jen. It seems like the Lord is really working hard over their despite the devils ways of getting people down. Things are going well at home here to and we are certainly praying for you and your safety. We all miss you infections smile and laughter and look forward to seeing you soon. God's Blessings.

    ReplyDelete