Friday, June 25, 2010

Lord, I'm Amazed by You

Mambo friends. I trust that you are all doing well. I can't help but sing the praises of our almighty God who continues to reveal himself to me in amazing ways. Whether it's through the smile of a beautiful child or the love of a dear friend here in Kangundo.

This past week was nothing short of amazing! The weather has been beautiful with high's in the low 70's, sunshine, and no humidity! This past Sunday I was blessed to travel (by dirt and pothole-filled roads) with my dear friend Shadrach and his wife to Victory Church at Katwanyaa. This church is one of my favorites because the choir is absolutely amazing as they dance in the aisles praising our great God. The hearts of he people and the sermon was wonderful. What I found great is the fact that during offering those who cannot afford to bring money bring maze, avocados, sweet potatoes, sugar cane etc... Then they sell those items in the church and the money goes for the offering. What I couldn't believe was the fact that people began buying these items and gave them to me. At first I said to myself, "Lord, why are these people buying these things for me? There are others who are in greater need than me."  But then God told me that this is the Kamba's peoples way of welcoming me and loving me. Praise God!

On Tuesday and Friday's i have been teaching English and Bible classes at the Bible College to a group of Ethiopian refugees. Let me tell you these young women are amazing and I cannot get over the joy they have in their lives despite the devastation that they have witnessed and experienced at such a young age. They are such blessings to me and I ask that you would pray for them as they don't have any family, except each other. 

On Wednesday, we have a Bible study with all of the Grace Children Home parents that have basically adopted at least 5 children. I had the privilege of leading this weeks study. I used a meditation from John Piper that really has convicted me since I have been in Kenya.  He tells us that "what the Church needs today is marathoners, not just sprinters...when it comes to the Christian walk."  I also love this quote which has also really resonated with me: " I plead with you to dream a dream that is bigger than you and your family and your church." Amen! That is my prayer for each of you as well. I pray that you will not dream too small about your life. Expect and attempt great things for and from God.

Today I was blessed with a wonderful Friday! I went to the market at Tala with James and bought various fruits and vegetables for cooking for the weekend. We had nothing short of an adventure when it came to finding a matatu (public transportation) for the ride home. These vehicles are small vans and they squish as many people as they can into this van and charge you about 5 cents. I laugh every time I ride them because they are so much fun. I also taught my dear girls today. We read some simple Bible stories and I was so proud of them because each one of them did a great job of reading some second grade level Bible stories. I praise God for all of the hard work that they put in each week of English class as well as the sewing school that they attend. When my day of teaching was done I walked home on the dusty roads and as I was approaching our compound I saw my dear friend Oscar was waiting for me. I must admit that i was so happy to see him because I haven't seen much of him this time. Pray for him and that God will provide him with a good job as it is incredibly difficult to find a job here.

If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea', and it will obey you. ~Luke 17

Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I cannot believe the expierence you are having. The Lord truly is amazing. I met with your mom and dad today and they are so proud of you too. We all are truly amazed by the servants heart that the Lord has given you, and can't wait to see you when you get back and all the amazing pictures I know your taking. :)

    ReplyDelete